Monday, April 27, 2009

Mr. Wettstein...#1

"UMMMMMMMMMM." I had heard that sound so many times while trying to get a hold of Matt. That annoying dial tone and I had conversed on the phone far longer than Matt and I ever had. Usually it didn't annoy me too much, after all Matt lived just half a block down the street and I learned that if I strained my voice a bit I could usually chat with him over the rooftops of the Andersens and the Darleys. Tonight, however, was different. Matt and I had just worked a boring shift at Western Watts and afterward I had drove him home. I had literally dropped him off in his driveway, 13 steps from his door. This had happened less than 3 minutes ago, yet Matt's dad told me loud and clear when I called him up "Matt's not here"! and then........."ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." I knew Matt was home, well, I was pretty certain. Perhaps he had gotten taken off by a ravenous pack of wolves that had somehow made their way into his yard, snatched him up in the split second I turned to look what was behind me while I pulled out, and then took off into the night. Maybe, just maybe. I had to be sure. I climbed onto the roof with my binoculars and spotted Matt in the kitchen. Thus began the long fight with Mr. Wettstein over the use of the phone. Sometimes I would call twenty times a night just to get one sentence in; "Tell Matt....Ummmmmmmmmm....that I want to go....ummmmmmmmmm...play basketball tomorrow....ummmmmmmmm...up at the church.......ummmmmmmmm. I could never be sure in the midst of all those hang ups that my message was being relayed, after all, the phone calls Danny had ignored were legendary. Matt even told me a time where some Sweepstakes Company had called with the message "Mr. Danny Wettstein, we are with the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes and we are calling to confirm that you'll be home during halftime of the Super Bowl next week so that we may award you a check in the grand total of.....ummmmmmmmmmmm". I wonder why he even bothered to answer the phone at all. Perhaps, deep inside, Mr. Wettstein appreciated that game that seemed to only get funnier with time, both of us bringing our A-game to the match.Years later I saw Matt during the Christmas holidays. Years had passed since I had dialed that infamous 563-3588 number. Matt and I had made plans to meet up for dinner, we just didn't know when due to a work meeting I had to attend. The plan was for me to call up his parents home and let Matt know the meeting was over with. When I called up,all I got was "Matt's not here.....ummmmmmmmmmm". We never did meet up. Matts' dad had won the game. And after all of this there is just one more thing I'd like to say to Danny...."ummmmmmmmmmmm".



Tanner Morrell

No comments:

Pipe Dreams