Tuesday, April 28, 2009
First Encounters of the Awkward Kind...
I still remember the first time I really spoke with Danny. It was one of those awkward moments that never quite leave you, lying in wait like a dormant disease ready to spring up at the next sighting of the man. Matt and his dad were fixing something inside the garage, possibly replacing a clutch on a Datsun Z or cleaning out a carburetor on an old snowmobile. Since the only thing I had ever done mechanically was busting out the robot at a school pep dance, I decided to step back and let the men do their thing. It was something strait out of Home Improvement; oil leaking, wrenches dropping, and grunts occasionally permeating the air. After a while of standing there folding my arms, I felt a tad bit out of place. I decided I’d try to strike up a conversation regarding the old truck that sat in the next bay. I had driven past the Wettsteins house many times and had caught glimpses of the old truck through an open garage door. I walked around the old truck like I was an antique Jalopy prospective buyer at some exclusive auction. I peered at the tires and took a look inside. After giving it a good, thorough inspection, I confidently straightened up, puffed out my chest, and said “yep, this things a beaut! It’s really coming along Mr. Wettstein!” Both Matt and his father dropped their wrenches in a pique of laughter. “That damn thing?” Danny quipped, “why I haven’t touched that piece of junk in ten years!” I could have just died! I made up a quick excuse why I had to leave and made my exit. I still feel of tinge of embarrassment each time I see Danny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment